A Brief Order for Matins and Compline


A Brief Order for Matins (Morning Prayer)

To be sung or said aloud:

(Trace the sign of the cross on your lips and chant or say,)
O Lord, open `my lips,
and my mouth shall proclaim `your praise.

Psalm 108:1-4
My heart is steadfast, O God,
my `heart is steadfast;
            I will sing `and make melody.
Wake up, my spirit;
awake, `lute and harp;
            I myself will wak-`en the dawn.
I will give thanks to you, O Lord,
a-`mong the peoples;
            I will sing praise to you
            a-`mong the nations.
For your steadfast love
is greater `than the heavens,
            and your faithfulness
            reaches `to the clouds.

The day’s designated reading may be read. The day's reflection may be read.
Benedictus (Song of Zechariah): Luke 1:68-79

Prayer: O God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Lord’s Prayer

Almighty God, the + Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit bless and preserve us. Amen.

______________________________________________________________________________

A Brief Order for Compline (Prayer Before Sleep)


To be said or sung aloud:

(Make the sign of the cross and chant or say,)
Almighty God grant us a quiet night and peace 'at the last.  Amen

It is good to give thanks to the 'Lord,
to sing praise to your name, O Most 'High,
to herald your love in the 'morning,
your truth at the close of the 'day.

Psalm 91:1-6, 9-12

The day’s designated reading may be read.

Into your hands, O Lord, I com'mend my spirit.
You have redeemed me, O Lord, 'God of truth.
Into your hands I com'mend my spirit.

Guide us waking, O 'Lord,
and guard us 'sleeping,
that awake we may watch with 'Christ,
and asleep we may rest in 'peace.

Nunc Dimittis (Song of Simeon): Luke 2:29-32

Prayer: I give thanks to you, heavenly God, through Jesus Christ your dear Son, that you have graciously protected me today. I ask you to forgive me all my sins, where I have done wrong, and graciously to protect me this night. Into your hands I commend myself: my body, my soul, and all that is mine. Let your holy angels be with me, so that the wicked foe may have no power over me.  Amen

The Lord’s Prayer

Almighty God, the + Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, bless us and keep us.  Amen

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, April 1, 2018 - RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD/EASTER DAY

Saturday, March 31, 2018 - HOLY SATURDAY

Friday, March 30, 2018 - GOOD FRIDAY