Sunday, February 18, 2018: FIRST SUNDAY IN LENT


Sunday, February 18, 2018
FIRST SUNDAY IN LENT
Commemoration of Martin Luther 1546
worship: 8 & 10:45 am
gen. 9:8-17; ps. 25:1-10; 1 peter 3:18-22; mark 1:9-15

One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.
gospel acclamation, First sunday in lent (Matt. 6:4)

Lord Jesus, think on me,
And purge away my sin;
From earthborn passions set me free,
And make me pure within.

Lord Jesus, think on me,
Nor let me go astray,
Through darkness and perplexity
Point thou the Heav'nly way.

Lord Jesus, think on me,
When flows the tempest high:
When on doth rush the enemy,
O Saviour, be thou nigh.

Lord Jesus, think on me,
That when the flood is past,
I may eternal brightness see,
And share thy joy at last.
              Synesius of Cyrene, 370-430, tr. Allen Wm. Chatfield, 1808-1896

  • ·       invite friends or family to bake pretzels (see recipe below).
Pretzels  
(Pretzels were devised in a German monastery because they have no fat. The name comes from “Brezeln.” meaning “little arms” from the shape, which is meant to portray the 
crossed arms of a monk in prayer.)

425° oven

              Combine:
            1 pkg. yeast
1½ c. warm water
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt

Stir in:
4 c. flour

Knead well. Roll out to 16” x 12”. 
Cut into 12 strips. Roll strips between palms to about 24". 
Shape into pretzels. Brush with 1 beaten egg white. 
Sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 425° for about 15-20 minutes, until golden. 
Makes 12.


Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, April 1, 2018 - RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD/EASTER DAY

Saturday, March 31, 2018 - HOLY SATURDAY

Friday, March 30, 2018 - GOOD FRIDAY